Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Artist Behind The Shop: HarmonArt - The work of Brian and Emily Harmon


Today, I´d like to introduce you these wonderful artists: Brian and Emily Harmon. Their work is not only beautiful, it really stands out!


When did you start crafting? What was your motivation?

My wife and I have dabbled inour artforms since childhood but started selling work about 7 years ago. We are motivated by a passion to create. We both love making things with our hands and love the idea of someone else getting joy out of them as well.

Which one of your designs makes you feel prouder of yourself?

I’ve very proud of this tray. It was a new style I tried and I really like the way it turned out.


What kind of things inspire you?

Both my wife and I are inspired by the shapes, forms, and colors of fall. You can see that inspiration reflected in all of our work.

Do you have any favorite book, movie, comic, etc? Which one and why is it your favorite?

My wife and I share an obsession with “The Princess Bride.” It is just a perfect mix of romance, adventure, and comedy. Between the two of us, we can quote every line.


If you could choose any fictional character (from books, movies, comics, etc), which one would you like to be? Why?

Oh, you are bringing out he comic book nerd in me now. There was a short lived Marvel comic character, sort of a pre-member of the X-Men, named Sync. His power was he could “sync” himself to any other superhero’s powers as long as they were in close proximity. That would be the best, because you could try out all of the superpowers for a little while.


Do you have any mania or obsession?

I don’t think so. We are both pretty even keeled.

Is there a place you´ve visited that left a big impression in you? If so, why?

It may sound weird, but my wife and I share a connection to Gatlinburg, TN. If you don’t know Gatlinburg, it is a total tourist trap of a town. But, my wife’s and my families (before we knew each other at all) both vacationed there semi-regularly. Now that we are together, Gatlinburg holds this special childhood nostalgia for both of us. Also, it is right next to Great Smokey Mountains National Park which has some of the most beautiful autumn views you will ever see, just perfect for what inspires all of our artwork.




Would you like to share any advice with your fellow artists?

Be persistent. The web is huge and to get yourself noticed, you have to do the work. Join forums, ask to be featured, Tweet, Facebook, you name it, do it.


Where can people find you? (blog, twitter, flickr, facebook...)


Anything else you´d like to share?

Thanks so much for the interview. You had some fun and unique questions.
________________________
Thank you so much! It was a real pleasure :) Please, don´t forget to visit their shop!

2 comments:

ingermaaike said...

Awesome work they make!

BrianHarmonArt said...

Thanks so much. You have such a lovely blog.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes |